Strategos Prime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Character RP

+4
Hockesin
Admin
Dotaria
East Ibsenia
8 posters

Page 1 of 17 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next

Go down

Character RP Empty Character RP

Post by East Ibsenia Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:14 pm

Welcome Adventurers and Hermits alike, to the land of Eremor.

Character RP CDk0Kbw

Let us establish some rules before you set out on your journey, across the world.

I: If you want to talk out of character. //Talk like this.//

II: East Ibsenia's word is final. I will be diplomatic and just to the best of my ability, but I am the be-all end-all.

III: Do not "Godmod" or, make it so that others cannot defeat you.

IV: Stick to the time period. This is a medieval time period. No guns, no jet packs. Fantasy is allowed.

V: This is my world, I will determine its ultimate shape. I would love for you to interact and mold it, but nothing that is too intense and changes the environment... e.g. Burning down the starting city.

VI: You must read the entire beginning post...namely this.

THESE RULES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE.

In game rules:

I: You can only cross the sea by ships, which can only be docked at port cities, indicated by the ships.
II:You may only reach a region linked by road, or by adjoining province.
III: The Slab mountains are impassable, although there may be a few hidden ways through *hint*
IV: Everyone starts in Mycra. You can travel wherever you want from there though.
V: At this point, you can only have one character.
VI: Italicized names are area names, non-italicized are town names
VII: Crowns are the universally accepted currency in Eremor

City Sizes

Large City:
Mycra
Seatown
Beleriand
Lyas
Large Town:

Vaes Morro
RockPort
Sapphire Lake
Ashwood

Small Town:
Rosby
Southwind
Diviyan

Village:
Faxview
Marliken
EastShire

Special Locations:
Old Tavern- An Ancient Tavern, that has been run as long as anyone can remember. A halfway point between Lyas and Sea Town
Elverand- A treetop village in the south of Eremor.
Qcrya- A desert trading post controlled by Korai Khan

Fiefdoms of Eremor

House Rowe: Sapphire Lake*, Southwind
Character RP NxniCyT

House Ocren: Sea Town*, EastShire
Character RP EOixwXh

House Lyon: Lyas*

House Westere: Lorchant*

House Viliyon: Ashwood*, Faxview
Character RP XQdHzzM

House Ornant: Diviyan*
Character RP 2HkQnFX

House Smalron: RockPort*

House Taren: Mycra*
Character RP CWHyRkN

House Sillan: Beleriand*, Rosby

King Amek of House Taren, Lord of Mycra and his subjects:
House Sillan

King Vyron of House Villiyon, Lord of Ashwood and his subjects:
House Ornant

King Janos of House Lyon, Lord of Lyas and his subjects:
House Westere

This is a game of personal decisions. You can only affect yourself. However, that doesnt mean your decisions wont have an effect on the world. You may find that aiding a king in his war will result in a total conquest of the continent by him. You may find yourself gaining a religious following. You may even find yourself a king.

So, my adventurer, welcome to Mycra. This is a city of trade, change, and diversity, ruled by King Amek. You choose your past, you choose your present, you choose your future. Mycra awaits you.

Last edited by East Ibsenia on Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:15 pm; edited 8 times in total
East Ibsenia
East Ibsenia
SPDF Vice Commander

Back to top Go down

Character RP Empty Re: Character RP

Post by East Ibsenia Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:38 pm

Marcus Dayne stepped out of YellowShore Tavern, and squinted as the sun shone into his eyes. "Shit!", he shouted and took off towards Mycras Docks. "If they 'ave left me..." Grinding to a halt, he scanned the docks for the ship. He smirked as he caught sight of it at the far end of the port. The Red Witch, not a pretty name, but it wasn't a pretty ship either. As he was strolling towards it, he grabbed an apple off of a peddlers cart, and flipped him a Crown. "I'll be missing this on the voyage", he thought.

Climbing aboard, he caught sight of the captain. "Ol' Rod Murrlen!" He shouted, and grabbed the jolly black-bearded captain for a hug.

"Get off of me you fool!" Captain Murrlen facetiously shouted back.

"Alright, Alright", As Marcus stepped back, he addressed the captain, "So, where is the dinghy headed?"

"Hey! The Red Witch is no Dinghy, it is the finest sailing ship around!"

"Uh-huh."

"Anyways, my baby is headed to Sea town for some trade. Are you going to come with?"

Marcus, considering his options replied, "Why not? I haven't gotten out of this stinkpit of a city in a while anyways."

Murrlen chuckled, and wandered off to direct his crew. Marcus stepped into the galley to evaluate his possessions. His sword, Aelia, was always at his side. Besides that, 43 Crowns, the universally accepted currency in Eremor, and some knickknacks were all he had. Marcus Dayne, a swordsman and self-made man, was setting off once more.
East Ibsenia
East Ibsenia
SPDF Vice Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotaria Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:06 am

Arthur Snow was a bastard born son of a Frost-Lord named Garrus Ulfrick. The man claimed him, unlike most Lords of the Fo Himdah //Frost Lands//. His mother, though the man never knew of her, was a Siren, evident on the tattoos on his right arm that he had ever since birth. It was a sign of the Siren, people able to bend elements to their will, though Arthur only knew how to create and control fire. It was seen as taboo to the people around him, but in the War of the Blood Snows, it was essential to his father's armies to win the war, even if it meant his banishment of the Frost Home that he loved. His father banished him himself, although with a broken heart, for Arthur was his favorite son. It was hard for a Frostman to banish a son so loyal and willing to kill for his clan.

He then found himself, 2 months later, at Yellow Shore, a hot, stuffy town filled with liars and cutpurses. He hated this place, honor wasn't known to these people of the Greenlands, a name given to anyone who lived in the strange, tropic lands that the Frostmen hated. He bought passage to a different place, called Sea Town, where Arthur planned on selling his sword. He heard from some thieves that it was better there, but at the character of the thieves he met, it was probably a lie.

He was walking the decks when he saw a man talking to the ship's captain, named Murrlen. The man reeked of ale and rum, but he was a good sailor nonetheless. He took keen interest in the stranger though, and he sat on a barrel on deck, studying the man. He took keen interest in the sword the man carried. These Greenlanders named their swords much like the Frostmen did, when the sword tasted a man's blood, and he heard the man mumble "Aelia" when the man stepped into the galley.

"A good name for a sword," Arthur said with a Frostman accent //Scottish accent//, trying to strike up a friendly conversation. The Frostmen weren't so nice, living in a hard region, but Arthur had a kinder heart than his kin. He unsheathed his greatsword Aldin, and started sharpening it with a whetstone. His greatsword had a black blade, with Frostmen runes etched in the first 9 inches of the 5 foot blade. The man slowly turned to have his eyes meet Arthur, evident the man knew every person on this ship, and who strangers were.

Last edited by Dotaria on Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dotaria
Dotaria
SPDF Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by East Ibsenia Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:01 am

Marcus turned to this ragged looking man. Who was this? Marcus knew every person in this stinking city, if not by sight then by name. Marcus didnt like outsiders, and based off this mans blade, he was definitely an outsider.

"Aye," Marcus said, "She has served me well. Sorry, but where are you from? You dont look like a native Mycran."

The man replied "That is because I am not from here, thank the gods. I am a native of Fo Himdah. "

Marcus raised his eyebrows, "A frost lander...this far south? Interesting. Well if you are on this ship all the way to Sea Town, we may as well get to know each other. It is a long voyage."
With that, Marcus began to tell his story. How he started in RockPort as little more than a merchants son, and trained himself in swordmanship. How he grew up as a youth travelling and exploring, finally settling down a bit in Mycras. He talked about Aelia, his elven blade. However, what he didnt tell this man, Arthur Snow, was what he was going to do in Sea Town. Because when Marcus arrived, there would be trouble.
East Ibsenia
East Ibsenia
SPDF Vice Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotaria Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:49 am

Arthur introduced himself to the man, and immediately knew the man didn't trust him. That was fine by Arthur, as long as he didn't get a blade in the ribs or across his throat. Arthur told him of his story, and his plans for when he got to Sea Town. He talked of his father, a kinder man than most Frostmen, and the conversation turned to women, as they usually do amongst men. When the ship left port to the open sea, Arthur sheathed his sword and moved outside to smell the ocean. The waters a few miles out were more clear than their counterparts in the Yellow Shore, and he could see fish swimming with the ship.

He said a prayer, thanking his gods for the world that was given to him, and gazed to the northern sky. He could see clouds forming over his homeland, indicating his people were going through an ice storm //blizzard//. He knew villages would freeze, killing all of their inhabitants, but such was the ways of the north. If you didn't lose your life in the cold, you lost it in the feuds the clans would have. He said a prayer for them too and went to his rucksack at his bunk, pulling out some dried, salted beef. He put a piece of it in his mouth, then took the rest of the little sack and walked back on deck, where he saw Marcus again.

Arthur smiled, "Love the sea too?"
Dotaria
Dotaria
SPDF Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by East Ibsenia Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:39 pm

Marcus sat on the prow of the ship, mulling on his thoughts, and how he was going to deal with the situation when he arrived. He knew that the Magister was aware of all entrances and exits of Sea Town, and that the Salt Palace was heavily guarded by SeaGarde soldiers. His only chance was if the Master came to him. And for that to happen he would have to-"Love the sea too?"

The foreigner, Arthur Snow walked up to Marcus, interrupting his thoughts.

Marcus smiled back, "Yeah, The openness of the sea is really appealing to me. I feel like it goes on forever. Billions of miles of un-explored land. Unfortunately, Sailing IS NOT my cup of tea. Ick- I hate tea. For the 'proper' folk. Disgusts me. What about you? What are your plans once you arrive in Sea Town?"
East Ibsenia
East Ibsenia
SPDF Vice Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotaria Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:39 pm

"I'm not sure," Arthur replied, sitting next to Marcus and offering some of the salted beef, "Probably become a sellsword. I can write, so I can quartermaster for a big company. What about you?"

The man looked out to the ocean, nibbling on the snack. Arthur could tell that the man didn't trust him, but seemed as though he was truly contemplating telling him something, so he sat quietly.
Dotaria
Dotaria
SPDF Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by East Ibsenia Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:57 pm

Marcus replied, "Aye, me too. I plan on becoming a sellsword. Maybe we could work together. I might have something to test your grit once we arrive. We'll see..."

With that Marcus walked back to his cabin. The two men talked and learned much about each other. Time seems to fly by, and before they know it, they stand on the port of SeaTown.
East Ibsenia
East Ibsenia
SPDF Vice Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotaria Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:12 pm

//Describe Sea Town to me, so I can get my bearings.//

Arthur put on his leather armor, covering him neck to toe in tanned hide from the Mammoths of the North, whose hide was as strong as steel. He sheathed his greatsword, not weighing more than 3 pounds, and threw his rucksack over his shoulder. He walked up to Marcus, who was also ready to go.

"Following you friend," Arthur told him.

"Aye, let's go."
Dotaria
Dotaria
SPDF Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by East Ibsenia Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:44 pm

Marcus buckled on his leather breastplate, and greaves and other mismatches of armor. Taking his cue from Arthur, he lead his way into Sea town. Sea town was a thriving port city. The dock was at the bottom of a bluff, on top of which the Salt Palace sat, overlooking the winding city. The main road, the Sea road lead to the Salt Palace, where the Magister resided. The Magister controlled all of Sea Town, and the outlying area. The main market of Sea town was a large open square in te center of the city. Marcus lead Arthur up the Sea road, and explained this all to him. Suddenly a large patrol of Seagardes enclosed Marcus and Arthur, and lowered their pikes towards them.

"Hmph. About time they found me."

Suddenly, a large, ugly man wrapped in robes walked out of a nearby building. He spoke to Marcus.

"Heheh Marcus, you thought you could escape me ehh? Well you were wrong, as always. You will pay for your crimes. I dont know your friend, So i will let him go."

Two SeaGarde walked to Marcus and grabbed him by the arms. Suddeny, Marcus whipped around and unsheathed Aelia. Striking down the guards, He lunged for the Magister, but was blocked by three Seagardes.
East Ibsenia
East Ibsenia
SPDF Vice Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotaria Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:35 pm

Arthur was surprised at the ambush, but drew his weapon as Marcus drew his. He fought alongside the man, who was surprisingly quick, until the man was grabbed. Arthur then made a ball of fire, and launched it at the Magister's feet, distracting the guards to him. Arthur grinned and raised his greatsword, then charged them.

The guards dropped Marcus, and raised their swords in defense against Arthur. Arthur was quick, and he rolled to the left side at the last minute and slashed the left man's head off. The middle one came at Arthur in a overhead slash, but Arthur blocked it and pushed himself up, knocking the man off balance and into his friend's sword. Arthur then slashed the last one's head off, and turned to Marcus, who had the Magister on the ground.
Dotaria
Dotaria
SPDF Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by East Ibsenia Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:30 pm

Marcus was shocked at Arthur's abilities. He was much better than Marcus had thought. As Arthur cut down the Seagarde, Marcus dove for the Magister, and knocked him to the ground. The magister, lying there wide-eyed wheezed out one last

"I will pay you twice what they are paying you."

Marcus only smirked, and cut the Magisters throat.

"Ahh, silly man, This one was not a contract, this one was personal."

Marcus hopped up from the ground, and jumped back from the combat, "With me!" he shouted to Arthur, who followed him. They ran through the streets of Sea Town, until they found a stable. After talking to the stablemaster, and finding the price for just ONE horse 50 crowns, Marcus grabbed two horses. He hopped on one and Arthur on the other, riding out through the gate with the SeaGarde and an angry stablemaster on their heels.

Once they had lost their pursuers, and were walking among the open landscape of the Morrow plains, Marcus turned to Arthur.

"Ha-You seem to be pretty well cut out for this."
East Ibsenia
East Ibsenia
SPDF Vice Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotaria Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:30 pm

"Why did they attack you? I don't feel comfortable fighting alongside a man who keeps secrets. What happened back there?" Arthur said, once the bloodlust wore off. They were 7 miles out from the city, and making their way Northeast along the road.
Dotaria
Dotaria
SPDF Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by East Ibsenia Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:53 pm

"Sigh, alright, i guess we are in this together anyways. The SeaGardes will be looking for both of us."

Marcus told Arthur his story. His story of growing up in a house indebted to the Magister. How the Magister kicked them out on the streets, and raped his sister as payment. How the Magister took every last penny from his father, and worked him to death. Then, he told him about the merchants council.

"The merchants council is a group of merchants who wanted the Magister out of the scene. They offered me gold if i took him out. I obliged. I wanted to kill the man anyways. And he came for me, because when i left Sea Town, i robbed him of gold. Thats the only reason i returned. I am out of money."
East Ibsenia
East Ibsenia
SPDF Vice Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotaria Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:07 pm

Arthur nodded, "I understand now."

"Do you?" Marcus asked.

"I do. The bastard deserved to die for what he did, and I don't feel an ounce of guilt killing those guards. To follow a man who harms the innocent is weakness. It takes a true man to stand up to such crime," Arthur said, cleaning his sword on horseback. "Where are we headed now?"

"East Shire. I have a friend there who can give us a place to stay for a while, and whose connected to the people who have my gold. You have coin?" Marcus asked.

"Aye, gold," Arthur said.

"Should be plenty to buy us a bite to eat, if you don't mind," Marcus said.

"Not in the least. These lands are strange to me, but it's more lively here than in Yellow Shore," Arthur chuckled.

Marcus grinned, "Definitely more lively."
Dotaria
Dotaria
SPDF Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by East Ibsenia Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:06 pm

Marcus turned his horse on the road to EastShire, but after thinking for a bit, turned it the other way, to Old Tavern. He explained to Arthur.

"The Seagarde will expect me to be in EastShire, for now, we need to travel inconspicuously. Let us head to Old Tavern, and from there, we will have some more options.

As they traveled, Marcus explained Old Tavern to Arthur.

"It is supposedly the oldest inn in all of Eremor. Honestly, it is more like a castle than an inn. it has its own smithy, market, and even farmlands. Hired men patrol the walls and fend off brigands that live in the Old Forest. But most importantly, It serves the best damn beer on this side of EastShire."

Arthur and Marcus both chuckle, as they enter the Old Forest.
East Ibsenia
East Ibsenia
SPDF Vice Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:52 pm

Caleann of Elverand sat on her horse upon a high cliff overlooking the port of Mycra. As the sun began to set, she could see far out into the sea, and a pillar of light shone towards her across the waves. The salt-scented ocean wind in her face and the seagulls above her crying and cawing, she unsheathed her sword and watched it glitter in the rays of the twilight sun. As the sun sank quickly below the horizon, she resheathed her sword, and quickly turned back to ride off into the evening dusk. She rode for about a mile, then emerged from the light underbrush onto a narrow muddy street, awash from the previous day's rain.

Character RP Dd_human_crop_2

She quickly and quietly dismounted her horse, then led it through the dim lamp-lit streets into the busier sections of town. There, the noise of water lapping gently against the shore could be heard more strongly, and the slight breeze creeked the old signs that hung above the street. When she found the place that she was looking for, Caleann turned down an even darker alleyway, and led her horse around to the back of the place, where a gently lit stable awaited her. She tied up her horse, then kicked the sleeping stable hand before slicing a dragon in half easily against her thumb with her dagger, forcing it into his hand and nodding in the direction of her horse. his eyes widened with fear when he saw the bow slung across her back, and the small collection of knives hanging from her waist. Then, she disappeared into the inn.

'The Fat Coward' they called the place, but Caleann was happy enough to be there because while it was a bit expensive (being on the waterfront), it served good food and wine, and didn't have quite as many of the shadier characters that one was sure to find in other parts of town.

As she entered The Fat Coward, she was unprepared for the miasma of warmth, smoke, and voices that washed over her face the moment she entered. As her eyes quickly adjusted to the light, she glanced around the room, noting the game of cards being played by a group of especially loud men. She walked over to the bartender, whom she knew also to be the owner of the inn, and said "How much for the night?"

"3 dragons."
"I'll give you one."
"Now that's just unreasonable! I guess you can sleep in the stable for that much.."
"Two."
"I'm unhappy about it.... but alright. As long as you don't cause too much trouble.", he said, eyeing her assorted weaponry.

She then reached into a small leather pouch, and trying to prevent any of the coins from jingling, pulled out two dragons and slid them beneath her hand across the counter. The bartender moved his hand to collect the coins, but stopped when he noticed that her hand was still covering them.

"Whaddyou want?"
"Food. Get me a good bowl of that stew, and some bread, cheese, and wine to go. I'll take it up to my room."
"That'll cost you another dragon."
"Fine." She knew she was already crossing the line with this man, having already tried to stiff him at a single dragon. She reached back into her pouch and pulled out another one, which she placed on the counter and then slowly turned around to face the people in the room, which had become her audience as they watched the exchange. She then turned back to the bartender, who had glopped some of the stew into a small bowl and filled a small mug full of wine. He then pulled a knife from his belt and hunked off a chunk of bread, which he pressed on top of the stew. "Thanks" she said, tersely, with her lips pursed.

She then glanced back across the room, contemplating actually sitting somewhere in the smoke filled room. She walked over to the card game, which was still in progress, despite her incident with the bartender, which she had thought was commonplace for these parts. She stood over the game, watching the patterns of how each of the cards were played, and measuring the reactionatory yells or moans as card tricks were taken or lost. After some time, one of the men looked up, finally noticing her standing above them.
"Wanna seat, wanna play?", he said jokingly, while all of the other men laughed uproariously. She didn't get what was so funny. "No." she said, and then walked away, with her bowl now cold in her hands and her bow still slung across her back.

Arriving in her room, she set down her bowl, barred the door, and laid her sword down across the table. She unsheathed it, looking at the thin solid steel, expertly forged in a foreign land, which she had had made for her at unbelievable cost. The moonlight shimmered off the blade, and through her window she could look out over the rest of the town and some of the beach. All was quiet besides the waves against the beach and an almost inaudible rhythmic squeak of a bed somewhere upstairs.

She looked down at her bowl, then ate, noticing that the stew was worse than usual, the bread stale, and the cheese hard. She decided against the wine, noticing that it smelled slightly like vinegar, and she instead poured it out the window. She left the bowl and the mug outside, then rebarred the door. She thought back, trying to remember the last time she had visited The Fat Coward. Now she realized that it had been quite some time, and the last time she had remembered it being much better. "I've got to get out of this bloody town.." she thought to herself, planning ahead. //from now on, italics will be Caleann's thoughts, in context// She then took off her light leather armor, but decided to sleep in her clothes because it was just bloody cold. She habitually strung her bow and put a knife under her pillow before wrapping herself in the thick blankets The Fat Coward provided (Just about the only thing that's still good about this place), and lay down to sleep on the floor. "You never know what's in or has been on those mattresses.." She closed her eyes, and just listened to the sounds of the night, waiting for sleep to come upon her. She heard the gentle footsteps of what she assumed was the mistress of the inn collecting the bowls from dinner, which was confirmed moments later by the sliding of the bowl across the ground outside her door as the woman picked up her bowl, mug, and spoon.

She opened her eyes briefly then closed them again. She quickly fell asleep with her lasts thoughts being of sailing out with the morning tide to West Bite, on the Barleycorn, a ship loaded with the assorted goods typical of Mycra, especially silks that came through because it was a large port that has an intersection of people, including some that common folk referred to only as "The Others." She also pondered briefly on why the current imperial system of measurement is based on the barleycorn, which she was reminded of by the ship.

//sorry if this was really long, but it was really fun to write, so i'm not really that sorry//

Last edited by Admin on Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:39 am; edited 3 times in total

Admin
Admin

https://strategos-prime.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by East Ibsenia Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:14 am

//wow. That was an amazing read. Best stuff youve ever written by far. Keep writing like this all you want. You may find it takes a while though.

Btw Dotaria. A dragon is worth 12 crowns, and is about 5 dollards USD//

Last edited by East Ibsenia on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
East Ibsenia
East Ibsenia
SPDF Vice Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:16 am

//Thanks. Yeah, it took me about an hour.//

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotaria Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:25 am

//Great post El Fiji. I try to write like that, but I don't have much patience with it. Also, I often make short posts whenever my character is around other people, so that they can affect the RP too. Still, I loved reading that post almost as much as you loved writing it.//

Arthur rode with Marcus, sharing what was left of the dried beef and pulling out a skin of water, which he also shared with Marcus. He had no idea why he was so nice to the man, possibly the influence of the Greenlanders getting to him, but he saw honor in the man, and anyone with honor was a friend of his.

Luckily, the road didn't have a soul on it, and he thanked the gods for the good omen, and asked them for Marcus to be right. He flexed his tattooed hand, which often itched all the way up to his shoulder blade and pectoral, where the ornate design ended.

When they came to Old Tavern, he saw that Marcus wasn't lying. It had a wooden wall reinforced with dirt, much to the style that the greenlanders built. The Frostmen build with stone, but these greenlander's fortifications were formidable in their own right, and Arthur had a grudging respect for their ingenuity. They rode to the gates, and after a brief argument between Marcus and the Gatekeeper, they were allowed to pass.

"This is actually a good town to be in, not many cutpurses set up shop here. Also, the leatherworker here is good, and they have enough money here to buy the Mammoth hides your armor is made of. They're expensive as hell, but they're good quality," Marcus said, gesturing to the slash on Arthur's left shoulder, which barely gouged the leather.

"My armor has seen worse days, I should be fine," Arthur said, eyeing the people around him.

"Figured you'd be fine, just letting you know."
Dotaria
Dotaria
SPDF Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Hockesin Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:12 am

Ethan Rowe yelled for the bartender to bring another drink. As he produced a chipped mug and proceeded to fill it with ale, Ethan checked his cards again. His ballista would complement the spearmen he had placed on his last turn, though he could place a war elephant and hope that no one else had spearmen of their own. He took a break from his cards to look up through the smokey haze, gazing at his stern-faced opponents. Right now they were doing their best to conceal their intentions, but Ethan new that as time wore on, and the drinks kept flowing, their masks would fade to jeers and wide-mouth grins. Ethan had played this game many a time before. Across from him sat Jorvis Bucksvane, noticeable by the scar vertically marking his rough, weathered face, and wide of torso and limb. He was also Ethan's "bodyguard". Ethan was the third son of Lester Rowe, the current Lord of Sapphire Lake which was the breadbasket of Eremor. The trade in foodstuffs, and Sapphire Lake's central location of trade had made the Rowe family rich over the course of hundreds of years. However, Ethan was far away from inheriting the Lordship, and was much more likely to spend the rest of his days as a diplomat, doing jobs just like the one he was on in Mycra right now just to prove his worth to his family. Besides, Ethan felt content with  where he was at. Leadership had never suited him.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The room was beginning to spin now. Ethan pushed a lock of sweaty brown hair out of his eyes, and squinted at the cards he had played on the table. Two javelin men and a line of horses. Not good, but it would hold against what the others had displayed on the table. But what they didn't have displayed on the table... he began to wonder who had the dragon; he sure as hell knew that he didn't have it. One player always got the dragon at the beginning of the game, and once playing the card, they would instantly receive half the pot, so it was in the interest of the dragon-holder to hold onto the card as long as possible, so the pot of gold grew larger as the game wore on. The player with the dragon did not want to hold onto the dragon for too long however, as if another player drew the stone dragon from the deck, the current dragon holder must forfeit the card to the other player. Ethan had learned these rules from long years of gambling in taverns, as he was oft to do on the long nights he spent in foreign cities.

It was his turn. Ethan drew his card... and it was the stone dragon! He triumphantly threw the card down on the table, to let the awe of the other players sink in. Jorvis broke out in a toothy grin.

"Ah you thieving bastard! You Rowe's are all alike, trying to steal from us common folk!" Ethan knew that Jorvis did not mean that about him, as Ethan was considered pretty common himself, but the Rowe's had charged heavy taxes of the commonfolk of Sapphire Lake for generations, to accentuate their already vast fortune. This had led to some small public disturbance, and a few powerful nobles gaining the support of commoners, most notably the Tabbards, but for the most part, no one challenged the power of the Rowe's. At this moment, Ethan looked up to see an armor-clad and heavily armed woman watching intently over his shoulder. Normally, Ethan would guard his tongue, but it had been loosened by drink, so he joyfully proclaimed:

"Wanna seat, wanna play?"

Not responding, the woman walked off and ascended the stairs, bringing her food with her. Ethan noted something strange about her, but said nothing and laughed.

Last edited by Hockesin on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hockesin
Hockesin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:01 am

Caleann awoke, freezing, in the early morning of the night. By now the moon had set, bathing the land in absolute darkness. She didn't know what had awoken her, as cold didn't usually have much affect on her. Suddnely, she heard a creek on the stairwell. Then, a minute or so later, she heard it again. There was definitely someone outside her room... and trying hard not to be noticed. Caleann was careful not to move, or adjust her breathing, but rather settled her mouth slightly open (so as to scream if necessary), and slowly repositioned her hand to grab the hilt of her dagger under her pillow. She cracked open one eye, then waited, calmly, patiently, for the violence that was sure to come.

The door knob rattled briefly, before rotating, allowing the door to creak inward on ungreased hinges. Her attacker leaped into the room then, a huge dagger in one hand. He didn't get the chance to use it though, because before he knew it, Caleann's dagger had buried itself deep within his neck, anchoring him to the door frame. His mouth foamed with blood, and deep guttural sound emanated from within him. She proceeded to pull a second dagger from her belt and cut his throat mercifully. Fully awake now, she dislodged him from the wall, laid him on the ground, and searched him for anything she could find. She recognized him as one of the people from the tavern part of the inn, and wondered if he had been part of the card game or someone else. //up to you, Hockesin// She found two full crowns on him, which she pocketed, and of course, his massive dagger. She quickly wiped her blades clean, then took more notice of the man's blade. She discarded the idea of keeping it after she noticed it was poorly balanced, and more a tool for fear than for real use. Ever the one for revenge, she took the blade and shoved it into the man's gut.

Thinking quickly, she realized that if anyone had heard something from the man's cry, they would be well on their way by now. She grabbed her sword off the table, redressed quickly, then crept down the stairs, as quickly as she dared. As she arrived to the mess hall, she quickly glanced around the room, noticing the many shadows for someone to hide. She then snuck out the the back door to the stable, where once more she found the stable hand fast asleep. This time she didn't kick him, though. She found her horse well cared for, which she treated to an apple before saddling up to ride.

"Good boy.. Acorn." she said softly, stroking his mane. "It'll only be a few hours now before the sun rises.... but by morning they'll be out searching for me. We'll need to be gone by then."

With that she mounted up, then rode out of the stable. She rode back to the cliff where she had been earlier, overlooking the town, so she could take account for all events occurring below her, without being spotted. And if she was spotted, she'd have quite a long head start. On the ride up the hill to her spot, she had time to think over what had happened to her in the inn. She had killed men before, women too, but each and every time, she felt their blood on her hands. It didn't affect her in battle, but the aftermath was a real tragedy for her. She tried to imagine who that man was, if he'd had a family, and if he'd had children who would now grow up without a father. She recounted the events in her head - she had acted so suddenly, upon instinct, that it was only now that she had a chance to think. She wondered what the man's intentions had been. Was it to rob her of the crowns he knew she had? Was it to rape her, perhaps leave her dead in the morning? she would never know. But it didn't matter now. What matters is getting off of this blasted island, she thought!

On edge now following her brief fight, she scanned the road at irregular intervals, varying her focus and looking behind her to see if anyone had followed her out of the town. She wasn't tired; in fact, she felt the most alive whenever she was closest to being killed. Weird.

Arriving at her spot, she dismounted her horse, then climbed a small pine nearby, nestling between two of the smaller branches near the top. This provided her extra camouflage, and gave her a good place to sit. She let her horse to wander, nibbling stray grass clumps. Acorn would provide advance warning should anyone come, and he was trained not to let anyone ride him besides those that Caleann had acquainted him with.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dotaria Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:10 am

//Good RP man, both of you.//
Dotaria
Dotaria
SPDF Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:59 am

Carelessly, Caleann drifted off to sleep after about an hour. Thankfully, the rest of the night passed uneventfully. Just before dawn she awoke, climbing down from the pine and letting out a low whistle, sending her horse trotting gently up the hill towards her. She had loosened his straps a bit for the night, but not too much that she could not gallop off at a moment's notice. Dawn had just broken, and she silently cursed herself that she had not awoken earlier. (her cliff thing could face both west and east, and still look down over the city).

This time she took a different route down to Mycra. Knowing that the news would probably have already spread across the town (news spreads quickly, and quickly-er in a bigger town), she realized that getting down to the docks would be trouble. But she also knew that she had to hurry, because she could see that the beach below her was already showing tide markings that were definitely receding. The Barleycorn sails on the morning tide. Could it already be gone? She looked down into the harbor, scanning the ships. There it is, the one with the green mermaid prow. She then proceeded to lead her horse down a small bluff trail that she knew led to the beach below her. Upon reaching the beach, she rode her horse towards the harbor, staying on the nice hard packed sand near the edge of the water. Acorn was nervous here, she knew, despite having spent hours travelling along beaches. Every so often, one of the larger waves would slam onto the beach, surging a swath of knee-deep water across nearly all of the beach, the water swirling viciously around Acorn's ancles, tugging him fiercely towards the water's edge. The beach here was quite thin, about 30 feet wide, nearly all of which was hard packed sand on one side of which rose a vertical cliff, on the other, the swirling waves that her horse was so scared of.

Passing around a point sticking out across the beach to the edge of the water, she timed it carefully so as not to pose too much risk to her beloved horse. Before her then lay the Port of Mycra. It was always bigger closer up than she expected. Mycra was founded on a natural harbor, aided further by rocks, used as wavebreakers. Across the entrance to the harbor swung a long boom, connecting two towers on each side of the entrance. This is so that they can keep those who they want to catch in, and those who they want out, out. She spotted the Barleycorn still safely in the harbor, nestled between two larger foreign merchant ships.

Then she hesitated briefly, murmuring gently to her horse, and hearing what he had to say, (all horses talk) while pondering the situation before her.

//this was quite fun to write by candlelight//

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by East Ibsenia Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:46 am

Marcus ambled over to the stablehand.

"Here, keep these boys warm." He said, as he handed the horses to the boy. Marcus glanced at Arthur, "I am going to go take care of some business, Get us a room and ill meet you in the tavern."
East Ibsenia
East Ibsenia
SPDF Vice Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 17 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next